With special thanks to Anoop Gantayat at andriasang.com and twitter users: IDG’s Tokyo bureau chief Martyn Williams, Mark MacDonald (Executive Director at 8-4, Ltd.), and “Nikkei_TRENDY,” we present the following official second- and third-hand 3DS information from Nintendo Conference 2010!
We’ll start with just the bare facts and update as more tidbits are made available:
- Japanese launch date:
- February 26, 2011
- Japanese MSRP:
- ¥25,000.00 (ca. US$299.99)
- U.S./European launch:
- March 2011
- Iwata actually mentioned the Virtual Boy as a fore-runner of the 3DS!
- Many 3rd parties are extolling the virtues of the 3-D capabilities.
- They (and Iwata) think the 3DS will break the “curse” of poor 3rd party game sales in Japan.
- Aqua Blue and Cosmo Black colors available at launch (aww, no red/orange…)
- Mii’s on 3DS were confirmed by Iwata.
- Mii’s can be made from photos on the fly and saved to SD.
- Augmented Reality was demonstrated.
- QR code scanning (natch)
- A 2GB SD card will be bundled with the system (cheaper than upgrading the internals ;)).
- You can go to the “home screen” and use the browser even during a game.
- There seems to be both a “journal/diary” app and (possibly) a pedometer function.
- DS, GBA, and “Classic games” (including GB/GBC) with 3-D updates will be available for download.
- “Tag Mode”
- Tag Mode uses WiFi to continuously share info between 3DS’ in close proximity, even when the 3DS is “asleep”.
- Mii’s are shared, as well as info on the other person (number of times “seen”, last time seen, etc.).
- It can share game-specific information even when that game isn’t inserted (is this the source of the “game storing” rumors?).
- It can also download games, demos, news, etc. automatically.
(Possible) Launch Titles shown/mentioned:
- Animal Crossing
- Ocarina of Time
- Chocobo Racing
- Metal Gear Solid
- Paper Mario
- Resident Evil: Revolution
- Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (in development)
- Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (stupid title :P)
- Kingdom Hearts